November 2008 Links
- 'Nobody Supports The Taliban, but People Hate The Government'
- Afghan president wishes he could down U.S. planes
- Afghan Schoolgirls Blinded in Acid Attack
- Afghan teacher wants acid thrown on her attackers
- Disillusioned Afghans Seen Turning on Karzai
- Does Embedding with the Taliban Make You a Traitor?
- Enlisting Tribes Against Militants In Afghanistan Carries Risks
- Kabul 30 Years Ago, and Kabul Today. Have We Learned Nothing?
- Once More Fear Stalks the Streets of Kandahar
- Press, 'Psy Ops' to merge at NATO Afghan HQ: sources
- Retired general looks back on Russia's Afghan war
- Taliban offers opportunities
- The 'Good War' Isn't Worth Fighting
- Tribal chiefs offered U.K. 'bribes' to fight Taliban
- U.S. and Afghan government frustrated by Taliban's resilience
- Darfur: the dangers of celebrity imperialism
- Interview with Philip Hammond: The folly of liberal 'humanitarian' interventionism, why complicated conflicts like that in the Darfur region of Sudan are often described as 'genocide', and why waging war in the name of helping people never does any such thing.
- Out of Africa
- Pirates of Somalia
- Somalia: The Third Front Revisited
- Victim Disarmament at Sea
- Intelligence chiefs were expecting al-Qaida spectacular
- Interview with Michael Scheuer: The credibility of claims that al-Qaida is planning an attack bigger than 9/11, the logic behind suicide terrorism, why a quick withdrawal from Iraq is unlikely, how U.S. security agencies cannot be as effective as possible, etc.
- Bin Laden's ex-driver home in Yemen after Gitmo
- Conservatives call on Bush to free Gitmo Chinese
- Gitmo Disappointment Coming
- How to Close Guantanamo in Six Steps
- Kafka and Uighurs at Guantanamo
- No charges but U.S. may never release Guantanamo Chinese
- The Obama Administration, Guantanamo, and Restoring America's Standing
- The Price of America's Good Name
- Growing rift threatens to tear India apart
- India uncovers Hindu terror group that carried out bombings blamed on Islamists
- Shock as top Indian Army officer arrested over bomb attack
- The Assault on Mumbai
- Documents linking Iran to nuclear weapons push may have been fabricated
- Festival and Ritual: Religious Frenzy in Iran
- Iran missile launch into space was 'publicity stunt'
- Joint Experts' Statement on Iran
- Military Experts Say 'New' Iranian Missile Is Just an Old One with a Different Name
- Obama risks trap with Ahmadinejad letter, analysts warn
- That Iranian 'Bomb'? Relax
- With Iran, Obama Needs More Carrot, Less Stick
- Anger Among Minorities as Iraqi Parliament Amends Provincial Election Law
- Bad case of Baghdadophobia
- Friends like these
- Hitmen charge $100 a victim as Basra honour killings rise
- Iraq’s Status of Forces Agreement Narrowly Passed
- Iraq still thirsting for water that's safe to drink
- Iraqi Christians slowly returning home to Mosul
- Key parts of U.S.-Iraq pact could be lost in translation: officials
- Kids, get your feet off the SOFA!
- Last-minute scramble over Iraq's pact
- Mercenaries in Iraq Could Face Charges in Earlier Incidents
- Mosul's Christians make timid return after killings
- No Means No
- Number of Iraqi refugees admitted to US up sharply
- Obama Can End Iraq War 'Responsibly'
- One Man’s Military-Industrial-Media Complex
- Rape's vast toll in Iraq war remains largely ignored
- Report to Congress: Gulf War Syndrome is Real
- Some fearful Christians hope to flee Iraq
- Stuff Happens: The Pentagon's Argument of Last Resort on Iraq
- The success of the homemade bomb
- This is no sop. It is a vote to end the occupation of Iraq
- U.S.-Iraq security pact may be in violation, Congress is told
- Who is Paying for the Iraqi Intelligence Service?
- A Pyrrhic propaganda victory in Rome?
- Britain grapples with role for Islamic justice
- Catholics, Muslims Vow To Fight Terror, Protect Minority Rights
- How Christians Should Respond to Muslim Outrage at the Pope's Regensburg Message About Violence and Reason
- Islam's 'Public Enemy #1'
- Radical Islam Rising
- Term Limits
- The Once and Future Christendom
- The Saudis' dubious interfaith agenda at the U.N.
- The Struggle for Europe
- The Study of Political Islam
- As Israel votes, again, system questioned
- Hardships grow in Gaza under Israeli blockade
- Israel's newest bid to isolate Hamas pushes Gaza to crisis
- Israel Allows Limited Aid into Gaza, But Not Enough To Relieve Humanitarian Disaster
- Israeli Vice-Premier Eyes Destruction of Gaza Villages
- Life runs backwards in Gaza as blockade bites
- Likud Rising
- The real goal of Israel's blockade of Gaza
- The slow death of Gaza
- U.N. Says Gaza on Brink of Humanitarian Disaster
- Hezbollah Seeks to Marshal the Piety of the Young
- Lebanon Realignment and Syria
- The 18th sect: Lebanon's forgotten Jewish community
- As Taliban Overwhelm Police, Pakistanis Hit Back
- How Many Villages Must We Bomb Before We Find bin Laden?
- Is Kashmir key to Afghan peace?
- Military Action May Sometimes Be Moral and Constitutional, But Not Smart
- Pakistan spy agency dissolves its 'political wing'
- Pakistani Military to Tribesmen: Fight Against Taliban or Flee
- Ringed by Foes, Pakistanis Fear the U.S., Too
Russia and Its Neighbours
- A Chance to Join the World
- Arrests. Beatings. Torture. All Part of Job Description for Uzbek Rights Activists
- Fears of new war rise around separatist Abkhazia
- Ingushetia in 'state of civil war'
- Obama's Chance to End the Fantasy That is Star Wars
- Russia's new presence in Latin America
- The Russian Question
- The truth about South Ossetia
- Gender issues key to low birth rate
- Japan eyes demographic time bomb
- North Korea back on the brink of famine, study finds
- North Korean facade of self-sufficiency can't hide signs of hunger
- Bashar Assad, no longer the pariah President
- ElBaradei: Lack of Satellite Photos on Syria Site 'Baffling'
- ElBaradei: No Legal Basis for Curbing Syria’s IAEA Rights
- Minute Uranium Traces Complicate Syria Investigation
- Smoking Satellite Pics
- U.S. Syrian raid sets Iraq on fire
- Was Syria Complicit in U.S. Attack?
- Clinton cabinet
- Could Barack Obama Be the Biblical Antichrist?
- Masked Avengers Prank Call Sarah Palin (YouTube video)
Illegal and Questionable U.S. Government Policies
- A Long Train of Abuses
- Court Backs Warrantless Searches of U.S. Citizens Abroad
- Frozen Scandal
- George Bush could pardon spies involved in torture
- How will Barack Obama wield the power that George Bush amassed?
- New Details on F.B.I.’s False Start in Anthrax Case
- Record Numbers Seeking Bush Pardons
- The al-Marri Case Affects Us All
- The Bush pardons
- The New Technology of Repression
- The torturer's tale
- Torture--Yes We Can?
- U.S. intelligence file was held on Tony Blair while he was prime minister
- Who yelled 'tyrant' at Attorney General Mukasey? A judge
- Will the Constitution's Trial Rights Finally be Vindicated?
War and Intervention
- Antiwar Groups Fear Obama May Create Hawkish Cabinet
- For Obama’s National Security Team, War Experience Trumps Change
- Ideology vs. pragmatism: Is one more important than the other?
- Interview with Eric Margolis: The repeating of history in Afghanistan, India’s under-the-radar regional influence and sweetheart nuclear deal, ramifications of a future 'Pashtunistan', the precarious economic and political conditions in Pakistan, etc.
- Obama's Foreign Policy: The Case for Pessimism
- On Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State
- Report: U.S. Uses Aid to Promote Non-Humanitarian Goals
- Robert Gates: As Bad As Rumsfeld?
- The Bailout, the Media, and the War Party
- The Cult of Counterinsurgency
- The Triumph of Imperial Christianity
- This Is Change? 20 Hawks, Clintonites and Neocons to Watch for in Obama's White House
- Worse Than Bush?